Shungite is a rare black stone made of up to 99 percent carbon. It’s mainly found in Shunga, a village in Karelia, Russia.
The stone has a unique composition. It contains fullerenes, or 3-D spherical molecules made of 60 carbon atoms. These molecules are hollow and sometimes called buckyballs.
Along with fullerenes, shungite consists of nearly all the minerals on the periodic table.
The origin of shungite is a mystery. Typically, materials made of carbon come from decayed organic substances like old forests. But the stone is thought to be at least 2 billion years old. This is before organic life existed on the planet.
Some theories of shungite’s origins include:
- a large meteorite collided into Earth and deposited shungite into the ground
- shungite formed due to microorganisms in nearby water
- the composition of organic matter in sedimentary rocks changed over time
Although scientists are unsure of how shungite was formed or where it came from, they attribute the stone’s potential benefits to its fullerene content.
Since ancient times, shungite has been used to purify water. This is due to its alleged activity against bacteria and viruses.
A 2018 study states that shungite can filter water by removing contaminants and organic substances like pesticides. A 2017 study also found that carbon from shungite can remove radioactive compounds from water.
Shungite can be used in several ways. According to those who use it regularly, you can:
- Infuse your water. Historically, shungite is used to purify water. You can use a shungite filter or place the stones in water for 2 to 3 days.
- Wear it as jewelry. Like other stones, shungite is available as beads or pendants.
- Carry it in your bag. This allows you to benefit from shungite’s healing properties when you’re on the go. Another option is to place the stone in your pocket.
- Place it near EMF sources. Some people put the stone near electronic devices, like microwaves and Wi-Fi routers, to shield them from EMF.
- Display shungite in your home. It’s recommended to put the stone near your bed to help you destress and improve your sleep.
- Meditate with the stone. You can meditate near the stone or place it on your body.